EVIDENCES FOR RESURRECTION
IMPORTANCE OF THE RESURRECTION
A. Christianity Stands on the Resurrection
Mentioned 104 times in the NT
If Christ was not raised then: 1Cor.15:12-19;
1. Our preaching is in vain
2. Your faith is in vain
3. You are still lost in your sins
B. All hope of life after death is based on Resurrection
1. Declared to be Son of God by - Ro.1:4;
2. First gospel based on - Ac.2:23-24;
3. Gospel is centered on - Ac.13:32-33;
THE EMPTY TOMB - the world's explanations:
A. Swoon Theory - Jesus did not die, only fainted.
1. Surviving Crucifixion Impossible - see
2. Stone too large for one man Mk.16:4;
3. What happened to the body?
4. Why leave the burial clothes? Jn.20:5-7;
5. How did He get pass the guards? Mt.27:62-66;
B. Friends Stole the Body while guards slept.
1. Guards suffer penalty of death if fail. Mt.28:13-19;
2. How can one sleeping, be a witness?
3. The disciples all died testifying to resurrection.
C. Legend Theory - nothing more than a myth.
1. Not enough time for a myth to develop.
2. Legends do not have eye witnesses. Lk.1:1-2; Jn.19:35;
3. Myths increase, Jesus' appearances decreased.
D. Hallucination Theory
1. 500 witnesses at one time, impossible! 1Cor.15:6;
2. No one expected the resur, Jn.20:24-28; Lk.24:11;
EVIDENCE FOR RESURRECTION
A. Changes in People
1. Peter - from 3 denials to dying for Christ.
2. Thomas - from skeptic to "My lord and my God." Jn.20:28;
3. Saul of Tarsus
Persecutor of church Gal.1:13-14;
Who converted Saul? Jews? Christians?
Was he unstable? he was a trained scholar. Ac.22:3-4;
Was he mad? read his writings 2Pe.3;15-16;
He claims he saw the risen Lord 1Cor.15:8;
B. Historical Witnesses
a. Honesty of Witnesses
No contradictory evidence, ever proven.
Motives of men is usually fame, fortune, fear.
Lived poor men, Ac.3:6;
Suffered through persecution 2Cor.11:23-26;
b. Competency of Witnesses
They were eye witnesses to the resurrection.
Mentally capable, their writings prove that.
They were not gullible Lk.24:22-25; Jn.20:24-29;
c. Number Of Witnesses
1Cor.15:3-8; can't believe 500, won't believe 10,000
Too much evidence to disregard their writings and it's reliability.
d. Historicity of Writings
Author Date Written Earliest Copy Span
Plato 350 BC 900 AD 1200 yrs
Aristotle 350 BC 1100 AD 1400 yrs
Thucydides 410 BC 950 AD 1400 yrs
Tacitus 100 AD 860 AD 760 yrs
New Testament Manuscripts
Sinaiticus 75 AD 340 AD 250 yrs
Alexandrius 75 AD 425 AD 350 yrs
Vaticanus 75 AD 350 AD 275 yrs
Ephraemic 75 AD 450 AD 375 yrs
Bezae 75 AD 500 AD 425 yrs
5 of 500 manuscripts of the NT dating within 400 yrs of events.
Nelson Glueck, Palestinian Archeologist, wrote:
"It may be stated categorically that no archeological discovery has ever
contradicted a biblical reference. Scores of Archeological findings have
been made which confirm in exact detail, historical statements in the Bible."
F.F. Bruce, Historian
"There is no body of ancient literature in the world which enjoys such
a wealth of good textual attestation as the New Testament."